Communication with school
As a staff we endeavour to establish good relationships with all parents and carers.
At St James’ we pride ourselves in having staff who are always willing to go that extra mile to support the children of the school.
- Teaching staff are always available at the end of the day, after they have dismissed their class. Please feel free to ‘catch up’ with them at this point. However, if you require a slightly longer time to talk then it maybe beneficial to arrange an appointment with the class teacher for a later date.
- Parent Consultations, these happen in the Autumn and Spring Terms for children in Year 1 to Year 6. The Autumn Term consultation is ten minutes and this will usually include how well your child has settled into the new class and teachers will share ideas for supporting your child at home. The Spring Term consultations are fifteen minutes, your child’s work will be available for you to look through with them. The teacher will talk about the progress your child has made, their strengths and their areas for development.
- Reception class parents have a termly meeting with the class teacher at the end of the child’s focus week.
- End of year reports are issued towards the end of the school year in July. The report will give plenty of detail about all areas of the curriculum and school life, it will celebrate the many successes of the school year.
It is always best to address any concerns or issues as soon as possible and usually the member of staff to go is your child’s class teacher. If you feel the issue has not been sorted out in a satisfactory way please approach the Key Stage Leader for a further appointment; for Early Years and Key Stage One this is Miss Miles and for Key Stage Two this is Mrs Everard.
The School Office team, Mrs Ditchman and Mrs Tona are always willing to help you with a variety of questions or problems.
- Mrs Ditchman works Monday to Friday from 7am until 3pm
- Mrs Tona works Monday to Friday from 8am until 2pm.
For children in Reception, Year 1 & Year 2
If on occasion you are unable to collect your child at the end of the day, please ensure that you telephone the school office as early as possible so that a message can be given to the class teacher, with the new arrangements for who will be collecting. It is very important that you tell us the name of the person who will be collecting your child.
To assist with the smooth running of the end of the day, if this happens on a regular basis, we would ask you to inform you child’s class teacher the names of the people who you authorise to collect your child if you are not there.
For children in Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 & Year 6
If on occasion you are not able to collect your child but you have made arrangements for another person to collect, as long as your child knows who is due to collect them there is no need to call to inform us. However, if this arrangement changes unexpectedly you would need to telephone and let us know.